Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:21:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        bms@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        perforce@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 133523 for review

In message: <4790B2CE.3000707@FreeBSD.org>
            "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: Warner Losh wrote:
: > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=133523
: >
: > Change 133523 by imp@imp_paco-paco on 2008/01/18 05:31:51
: >
: > 	Go ahead and integrate my cross build patches here so that
: > 	I can build cross compilers.
: >
: >
:
: What's LIBC= for?

MAC OS X build.  Likely an oversight on my part.

: It looks like you added install targets for xdev, does this mean we can
: build cross compilers and install them w/o having to run them from the
: top level src makefile targets?

Yes.

: It would be great if there were something to simplify the means of
: building cross toolchains similar to Gentoo's crossdev.
:
: There are many devices out there which FreeBSD could potentially run on
: -- however the vendors ship them with Linux, and being able to get e.g.
: cross builds of mtd-utils to run on them would be very helpful for
: opening them up.

Yup.  That's the idea.  The other part of the ideas I've had was to
have buildworld behave differently when CROSS_COMPILER=xxxx-ytyyyy- is
set.  Have it just build w/o building the tools to build freebsd (at
least not the compiler/linker parts).

Warner