Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 03:50:26 -0400
From:      Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE recommendations

I am wanting to get back into programming, and I am
_somewhat_ familiar with C++ (trial version of Borland's
C++ Builder IDE, compliments of Sam's Publishing).

Being that I no longer use Windos (and not really interested
in the Wine project), what would be some recommended IDEs
to learn/relearn with?

If it matters, I'm running FBSD 4.10 and I don't plan on
upgrading to 5.x on this box (Perhaps when I get another
machine, but that's another story).

What _does_ matter to me is the bells-and-whistles type of
environments/applications (What can I say...  The gravy
helps them taters go down.  :) ).  That said, I have both
the KDE and GNOME environments installed.

I'm also interested in IDEs for Python, Perl, Ruby and Java.
Of course I'm going to start with one at a time, but I'm
interested in what people's recommendations are on the IDEs
in the ports.

So, what say ye?

Thanks,

Mike