Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:36:19 +0100
From:      Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Christian_Fl=FCgel?=)
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Ports vs. RPM was:This will replace Linux?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To: "Allen Lynch" <levothyroxine@hotmail.com

> RPM isn't used because the RPM system sucks.  FreeBSD has a superior
> packaging and ports system, and it uses it.

I have always wondered why FreeBSD claims that the Ports System is superior
to the RPM packaging system used in most of the Linux flavors. Basically,
from my point of view, both should provide similar features with regards to
Dependancy checking etc. .
Could anyone point out what makes the Ports collection better than Linux RPM
?

Regards

Christian