Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:59:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      rain cip <raincip@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help troubleshoot the nvidia driver and x display problem

Hello,

I need some help to troubleshoot why the X doesn't come up after
installing the latest nvidia driver from the port tree.  I have no X
display problem prior to replacing the generic vga driver with the
new nvidia driver.

I installed the driver via the ports tree, added a line to turn off
agp.ko in device.hint, edited xorg.conf per the readme file from the
driver download, then rebooted the box.  When it tried to start the
X server, the screen flashed a few times then gave me the following
errors:

kdm: Abnormal termination of greeter for display:0, code 1, singal 0
(the line above repeats five times)
init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv8, sleepinnng 30 secs

My system has FreeBSD 5.3 installed with default xorg-server-6.7.0_9.
I also have Linux ABI compability turned on.  My graphics card is
GeForce TI4000.  The /etc/ttys has the following line:

ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

I looked in the Xorg.0.log file but did not spot any error.

Any help to chase down this display problem will be greatly
appreciated.

rain