Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 22:34:41 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finding a.out shared libraries (was: Netscape no longer works  with ELF system)

...snip...

> >>  # ldconfig -aout /usr/lib/aout /usr/local/lib /usr/X11R6/lib
> >
> > But I don't have the aout libs on this machine.
>
> Well, I suppose that's the problem :-)
>
> As long as you have a.out executables, you'll need the a.out
> libraries.
>
> > Netscape works fine on machines that I have updated because it finds
> > the aout libs in /usr/X11R6/lib/aout, but that is not the case with
> > a fresh installation of 3.0Beta with ELFised ports.
>
> Right.
>
> Greg
> --

OK, so I know I can grab the libraries from another machine. But let's say
that someone does not have access to another machine with aout X11R6 libs,
ie., a new user getting FreeBSD 3.0 from the CD when it is released. I am
pretty sure they will want to run Netscape and probably some other aout
precompiled binaries. How will this situation be handled? Should there be a
compatibility package of aout libraries? I am not sure but I think some Linux
distributions did that.

Thanks.
--
Glenn Johnson