Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 00:20:29 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, jkh@osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard)
Cc:        jessemonroy@email.com, jessem@livecam.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Concern over ftp.freebsd.org

At 9:45 PM +0000 5/3/01, Terry Lambert wrote:

>  I think that there is some legitimate concern over the, to all
>  appearances, unheralded demise of ftp.freebsd.org.

	If there are legitimate concerns, I'd like to hear them discussed
in a reasonably intelligent manner which does not involve
name-calling and belittling (as we have recently witnessed).

>  I also believe that this is a legitimate topic for -hackers,
>  since code which can not be obtained, can not be the subject
>  of active developement.

	There I have to disagree.  This subject is applicable to all of
FreeBSD as it is to any one particular mailing list, and therefore
the most suitable mailing list for this discussion is -chat.

>  As someone who uses FreeBSD in a business context, and has off
>  and on since 1993, it is alarming to go out and try to grab a
>  distribution, only to find out that it's not where you expected
>  it to be.

	Surely it's on the mirrors, yes?

>  It's also extremely alarming to find out that the official
>  mirrors have mirrored the disappearance.

	Really?  This is the first I had heard of this.  Could you elaborate?

>  I personally only found out as a result of attempting to build
>  a release locally, only to have it fail to retrieve two of the
>  35 ports distribution files needed to perform that operation.
>
>  When this happened, it seriously underscored the degree to which
>  the FreeBSD project depends on good faith effort by agencies not
>  under the projects direct control (as Linux depends on the good
>  faith and continued existance of Linus and those lieutenants who
>  hold the keys to the non-repository maintained source tree).

	It would seem to me that this would be precisely the sort of
thing that would be most resistant to having the central repository
disappear (or otherwise be unavailable).  Could you help me
understand how this sort of thing could happen, and how the problem
might be addressed?

>  But there are a number of outstanding issues remaining sadly
>  unaddressed, and they would most certainly shake the faith of
>  anyone else basing a product or developement environment on an
>  assumption that FreeBSD will always be around in the form it
>  has been historically.  It shook my faith, and I've been around
>  and an advocate since day one.

	Could you fill us in on what these outstanding issues are?

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */