Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:54:09 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Cc:        lplist@closedsrc.org, kris@obsecurity.org, mwlist@lanfear.com, freebsd@sysmach.com?, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

> > The last problem that AMD processors had that was in any way significant
>was
> > when a few old K6 processors would become flaky with more than about
>40MB of
> > RAM. This was back when RAM was about $45/MB in the U.S. so most people
> > never got that much anyway (and when they did they weren't using K6
>chips)
>
>	Hmmm, perhaps that's why one of our machines with a K6-200 non-MMX
>seems unstable with 64 megs of RAM..  The RAM actually costed more like
>$50/MB for 72 pin EDO SIMMs.

$45...$50...
> > ...corruption in certain cases which is a big nono. Intel recalled the
>chipset.
> > They were in such a hurry to leapfrog AMD that they failed to properly
>test
> > the chipset. This will long be a taint on Intel quality in the memory of
> > many computer professionals.
>
>	True but isn't the 440BX supposed to still be the robust Intel
>chipset?

It has been replaced by the i815 chipset, which supports 133MHz RAM and
ATA100 whereas the BX supports only 100MHz RAM and ATA33. It allows for only
512MB RAM though so is totally unsuitable for any serious server.

I would call the BX the best chipset ever made by Intel. It remained the
best the longest and is to a degree still useful today. My server uses one
and despite my preference for AMD stuff for most cases, it works beautifully
with its little P2-400.

>	I thought they recalled it as soon as they announced it, this was
>what drove their stock prices down.

Nope, they recalled it only after multiple waves of proof that it was
faulty. They shipped many of them to manufacturers, but AFAIK no systems
were shipped before the recall. Intel announced the recall after many tests
were done by review sites. I believe that TomsHardware was officially
credited, which I suppose he deserves because he picked up quite alot of
"You are anti-intel and I will never trust you again" flak.
I bet it was very satisfying to be able to say "Told ya so!", but I doubt he
did being a mature person. ;-)

>	Yeah, true... Now, only if there is a AMD 760 chipset based
>motherboard with a ISA slot since I need it for my $600 soundcard :(

(jerks head backwards in shock) Damn. I normally say "Get an SBLive!" when I
hear about ISA card woes, but unless that card is very old it must have some
very spiffy features to cost that much. Professional musician?

> > Asus generally makes the most stable motherboards.
>
>	True but I think ABIT motherboards have been good as well.  ASUS
>has a problem with the ATA100 area from what I heard.

All manufacturers have problems here and there. MSI and Tyan make great
boards too, but all have had their flops and their boards that were perfect
besides one or two serious (and later fixed) bugs. In general, stepping
back, Asus seems to overall make the best boards most consistantly. Abit's
are good too, I like them both.
> > I often hear "Such-and-such a site is anti [AMD/Intel/Cyrix] because of
> > such-and-such."
>
>	Yeah but on Anantech, atleast in the forums, people are all for
>the Athlon with very few for the Intel side.

The way I see it, that says something for the Athlon--not something against
Anandtech.

The people in the forum are hardware enthusiasts and are far more educated
about hardware (as I am sure you are) than the general public.

I usually quote Tom's over Anandtech though--I mean--how competant could a
computer review crew really be when they choose to use Windows above all
else for their server platform? I guess that's another issue entirely
though. ;-)

> > Usually Tom's Hardware is accused more than Anandtech because they are
>more
> > apt to be harsh on something that doesn't live up to the hype, but
>Anandtech
> > isn't immune.
>
>	I haven't visited Tom's Hardware in ages...

That's ok. As the joke goes, you probably saw his latest article last time
you visited. }:>
I visit for his daily summary of news so I don't need to go to 15 different
sites. Just Tom's, The Register, Anandtech and /.