Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 23:39:00 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <myevmenk@exodus.net>, Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, vsilyaev@mindspring.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware2 port on fb-current, some Success

At 9:21 AM -0700 10/3/02, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>Ian Dowse wrote:
>  >
>  > Garance A Drosihn writes:
>  > > I also have a partition with freebsd-current from two or three days
>>  > ago, and all the latest versions of the ports.  Every time I try to
>>  > start vmware2 on the newer system, the hardware dies.  Sometimes it
>>  > automatically reboots, other times it freezes up and I have to
>>  > force-reboot it (sometimes by unplugging it from the wall).
>>
>>  See the patch I posted in:
>>

>>http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+6285+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-emulation/20020908.freebsd-emulation
>>
>>  There may still be further issues, but it allowed me to use vmware2
>>  on a current from a week or two ago.
>
>you also might try to look at the patch in PR port/41784
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=41784
>
>i'm running vmware2 on my not so -current with the patch.
>if this is outdated feel free to close the PR.

I looked at Ian's patch compared to Maksim's patch, and it looked
like they were trying to fix the same basic problems.  Ian's looked
more elaborate, so I assumed it was more likely to be correct...  :-)

I applied Ian's patch, and I was able to run vmware2 on current
without it killing my machine.  It would be very nice to get this
patch applied to the vmware2 port.

If someone could update the port, it would also be helpful to
add:     lib/vmware/lib/modules/linker.hints
to:      pkg-plist
(that is a file which is already being installed by the port, but is
not included in the pkg plist).  I probably should look into having
it automatically do the right thing for 'vmnet1' and 'vmmon' on a
system which is using devfs, too, but I am not up for that tonight.
(it needs to create symlinks into /dev, instead of doing it's own
mknod's in /compat/linux/dev)

The makefile lists vsilyaev@mindspring.com as the maintainer of the
vmware2 port.  Is that still true?