Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:25:42 -0400
From:      Michael Jamet <mjamet@computer.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking problem -2 boxes in a dorm room

Andrew,

You seem to have left out some information, but I'll do my best to cover
the bases.  I'm making the following assumptions:

	The dorm jack is rj45 supporting 10-baseT.
	The coax network card is also 10Mb/s because there is no 100Mb/s spec
for coax (that I know of)
	The hub is a 10baseT hub, not switch.

Are these assumptions correct?

How did you connect the coax to your hub?  Also, when you only have 1
machine plugged in, is it plugged into the hub or straight into the dorm
jack?  I ask because it could be a collision propagation problem between
your hub and whatever is upstream.  A single directly connected machine
would not have this problem.  (A switch would not have this problem
either).

The other thing that comes to mind is one system is running half duplex,
while the other runs full duplex.  The half duplex system might see the
other system's transmissions instead of a reflection of its own - those
would be considered network errors.

Please provide more details regarding the assumptions above and run
"netstat -in".

Michael Jamet