Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 01:13:33 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Ken Stailey <kstailey@surfbest.net>
Cc:        "."@babolo.ru, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/33818: Bootable ITS image for KLH-10 PDP-10 emulator

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 07:15:00PM -0500, Ken Stailey wrote:
>"."@babolo.ru wrote:
>>For lot of emulated systems (RT-11 vXX, UNIX vXX so on)
>>I have scripts that copy disk image to user's TMPDIR, for example:
>>#!/bin/sh
>>echo 'type "unix" first, login as root'
>>cp /usr/contrib/sim/unix_v5_rk.dsk ${TMPDIR}/unix5-$$
>>echo "set cpu 18b" > ${TMPDIR}/unix5-$$-c
>>echo "att rk0 ${TMPDIR}/unix5-$$" >> ${TMPDIR}/unix5-$$-c
>>echo "boot rk" >> ${TMPDIR}/unix5-$$-c
>>exec nice -5 pdp11 ${TMPDIR}/unix5-$$-c

Exactly the sort of thing I was talking about. Except an install, so the
user would then have a persistent disk of his/her own.

>Yes you can telnet or supdup or ftp into an ITS system.  ITS has no
>security.  You can issue commands without logging in.  You can log into
>someone else's account with no password because there are no passwords
>on accounts.  You can make up an account name and log into that.  No
>password file, no security.  You need to read some ITS history.  Try
>
>http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/stallman-kth.html

Thanks. I am more concerned about what the emulator can do, and what files
it leaves open.

See above.

If the emulator will allow anyone to come in, then I see having any
part of it SUID root as a problem. Unless it can be linked against -lwrap,
or forced to run either chrooted or in a jail.

Using -lwrap.... Now there's an idea....

--
Alan Eldridge
Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff PmpMpmMpp ppfppp MpfpffmppmppMmpFmmMpm