Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:03:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Josh Malone" <jmalone@tovaris.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sysinstall hangs resolving IP for ftp install

Hello,

	I recently begin using Baldwin and Saab's excellent 'pxeboot' to
bootstrap a custom installation process.  After much cussing at it, I
finally have it TFTP pulling a (mostly GENERIC) kernel and custom mfsroot
and booting into it.  The machine then finds my install.cfg in the mfsroot
and kicks it off to do an FTP install from our local mirror.
	However, once sysinstall kicks off the install.cfg, it hangs at the
spot of "looking up ftp.intranet" trying to resolve our ftp server.
Hitting <ctrl>-C at this point and restarting the installation makes it
proceed normally but I'd like to fix this problem.
	Does anyone have any thoughts on what might cause this?  Is
sysinstall trying to look up the address before the interface is ready,
perhaps?  Could our ethernet switches be doing something bad behind our
backs?  I suppose it's also worth mentioning that sysinstall uses an IP
address that is hard-coded into install.cfg.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

			-Josh Malone

-------- In God we trust...everything else we use X.509 ---------
Joshua Malone,  Systems Administrator    Phone: 434-245-5300 x119
Tovaris: The Digital Identity Company      Fax: 434-245-5301
      www.tovaris.com                     jmalone@tovaris.com