Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2019 09:47:00 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Walter Parker <walterp@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot from one drive and load FreeBSD from another

Am 11.01.2019 um 23:08 schrieb Walter Parker <walterp@gmail.com>:
> If I create a FreeBSD-boot partition on the SAS drive and a =
FreeBSD-zfs
> partition on the ZFS mirror, will the boot partition loader =
automatically
> find the ZFS pool? If not, is there anything special I can do to force =
> boot?

Set up a UFS filesystem on one of the disks that the BIOS can access and =
put everything under /boot into it. Install boot or gptboot (not zfsboot =
or gptzfsboot) with gpart, since loader will only work on that UFS =
filesystem.

Since loader can=E2=80=99t find your root file system (as the BIOS has =
no access to those disks), you need to set the path to the root =
filesystem in loader.conf (see loader.conf(3), vfs.root.mountfrom). For =
ZFS, that something like zfs:poolname/path/to/rootfs. This will instruct =
the kernel to mount root from that spec. Normally, loader figures this =
out automatically, by probing the disks for metadata (ZFS) or by =
analyzing fstab (UFS), but in your case, it can=E2=80=99t.

You=E2=80=99ll probably want to add an entry for /boot to your fstab, so =
updates will update the boot partition instead of the /boot directory on =
your ZFS root.

HTH,
Stefan

--=20