Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 10:57:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        sweeting@tm.net.my
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how would you set up a mail hub ? possible with one IP ?

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997 sweeting@tm.net.my wrote:
> thanks a lot for the help/advice/corrections... things seem to be working
> ok - got the mailhub running for several domains all on one IP.

You're welcome.

> >> Avirtual2.com.           IN      A   202.184.153.99
> >> 202                             IN      CNAME   202.184.153.99.
> >
> >??? I have *no* idea what the intent is here but it won't work
> >no matter what.  Remove it.
>
> quick explanation :
> this is Malaysia, the Net works differently. ;)
> I became sysadmin because our real sysop left to open a cafe/bar.
> I knew absolutely nothing about sysadmin and should have bought shares in
> o'reilly books.
> So, I used the zone/named files that were already there and have always
> been intrigued by this 202 in there..... but everything seemed to be working.

Here's what the entry says:
If someone requests the IP address for 202.Avirtual2.com I really
need to look up the IP address for 202.184.153.99

So now I'll issue a request to the roots for the domain .99 to
get their name servers.  Naturally the roots will respond with
NXDOMAIN.

Basically, this line is _probably_ never referenced unless the
previous admin was doing something really dumb.  But, if it is,
your going to be wasting time and bandwidth (yours and the root
name server's) looking up something that will never be found.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com