Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:16:20 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jamie Heckford <heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel VE Desktop 10/100 NIC NOT SUPPORTED?

 Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 04:32:14, msmith (Mike Smith) wrote about "Re: Intel VE Desktop 10/100 NIC NOT SUPPORTED?":

> > > It means that you have "PNP OS" turned on in your BIOS, and the version
> > > of FreeBSD that you are running is not a "PNP OS".
> > Does "options PNPBIOS" fix this? I have a SiS496+AMDK4/133 box where
> > FreeBSD4 hangs up without this option during searching ISA PnP devices, and
> > there are no "PNP OS Yes/No" switch in BIOS. "options PNPBIOS" enables
> > system to load and work correctly but it was found occasionally,
> > no man mentiones this option in such context. (FreeBSD3 did not require
> > any special options to boot.)
> No, it doesn't.  And FreeBSD 3.x doesn't support that network adapter at
> all.

Sorry, I misspecified context for my question. The system I described
has none ISA PnP devices (really, it has UM9008F in jumperless mode,
which don't reply to PnP queries), the question is not related to `Subject:'
of this thread, but only to "PNP Yes/No" switches in BIOS. And on it,
kernel.GENERIC and any tested 4.x kernel without PNPBIOS option hangs
during hardware checking without any descriptive messages. (The solution
was found after comparing verbose boot output of this system and non-problem
neighbour: it hangs before check PNP devices via first protocol broadcast
port, AFAIR 0x203.)

> It looks like we are going to need to do some work on this fairly
> quickly, but in the meantime, you are SOL with that board.

What does PNPBIOS option do?

 Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 13:17:59, heckfordj (Jamie Heckford) wrote about "Re: Intel VE Desktop 10/100 NIC NOT SUPPORTED?":

> All of the recent BIOS's support this option - it may be hidden
> as something like:
>
> "Operating System Type:"
>
> "WindowsME/2000"
> "Windows95/98"
> "Windows NT4.0/Other"

This system was bought in April 1996. None of similar switch, neither
in menus nor in documentation.

/netch