Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 01:59:57 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   disk confusion

OK, this looks familiar but the old tricks don't work any more.
New installation of 2.2.6-RELEASE with added complexity outlined below.
First the messages:

changing root device to st1s1a
Intel Pentium F00F detected, installing workaround
swapon: /dev/sd0s1b: Invalid argument
Automatic reboot in progress...
Can't open /dev/rsd0s1a: Invalid argument
/dev/rsd0s1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
/dev/rsd0s1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
Automatic file system check failed... help!
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

But hang on, look at what else is here:

IDE disk with IBM boot manager, DOS and FreeBSD
sd0  DOS and another FreeBSD
sd1  new FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE (the problem one)
sd2  FAT

But wait, there's more...

To do the installation (from CD) I disabled the IDE (wdc0) and
unplugged sd0, making the working disk take the name sd0 temporarily.
Now of course it's called sd1 again.

Yes it booted fine as sd0 before I plugged the first SCSI disk back in.
Yes I typed stuff at the boot: prompt, and I also put the info in
boot.config (by mounting the disk from another copy of FreeBSD).
Did I get the numbers wrong? I figured it'd be 2:sd(1,a)kernel
(2=third bios drive, 1=second SCSI disk)

If I point the boot manager at wd0 or sd0 it'll boot either of those
FreeBSDs fine.

If I point the boot manager at sd1 and I type:

  2:sd(1,a)kernel  it boots off the correct disk (sd1) and
  complains as above.

  1:sd(1,a)kernel  it uses the kernel from sd0 but lands me in
  single user mode on sd1, and complains as above, word for word.

If I point the boot manager at FreeBSD on wd0 and type 2:sd(1,a)kernel
the results are the same.

Nothing I've read (including man boot) helps me see exactly what's
going on here, beyond stating what works in simpler cases.

Next thing to try is to build it a kernel elsewhere and copy it over,
but that'd be tricky (different versions) and anyway, getting it to
boot isn't all that important. It's more useful to me to understand
why what I've done isn't working. Any clues?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-