Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 08:39:41 -0700
From:      "Justin Wolf" <jjwolf@bleeding.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   weekly locate rebuild

This is a lame question, but...  when my machine tries to automagically
rebuild the locate db, it fails.  I modified the 310.locate script in
/etc/periodic/weekly as such:

if [ -x /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb -a -f $locdb ] ; then
    echo ""
    echo "Rebuilding locate database:"
echo "touching... "
    touch ${locdb};
echo "chowning... "
    chown nobody ${locdb};
echo "chmoding... "
    chmod 644 ${locdb}
echo "running... "
    echo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb | nice -5 su -fm nobody
echo "last chmod... "
    chmod 444 ${locdb}
echo "done"
fi

And I get this output:

Rebuilding locate database:
touching...
chowning...
chmoding...
running...
find: .: Permission denied
0
last chmod...
done

When I run it manually via 'periodic weekly' it works fine with no errors
(as root).  Does the root crontab not run as root?  Any suggestions?

-Justin