Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:07:23 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        jacob rhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modern (usb) webcam support?

jacob rhoden wrote:

>My searches for information on webcam have not found much, except for some
>sites which say FreeBSD does not support USB web cameras.
>
>Is anyone currently working on support for this? Does anyone have any
>ideas about where one could go to get information about where to start
>if one was to start writing a driver?

The graphics/vid port supports USB webcams based on the Omnivision OV511
and OV511+ chipsets.

This apparently includes :

  Creative Labs WebCam 3 (*** see note about the OV511+ below ***)
  D-Link DSB-C300
  Puretek PT-6007
  Alpha Vision Koala-Cam
  Lifeview RoboCam
  AverMedia InterCam Elite
  MediaForte MV300
  Trust SpaceCam 300 (*** see note about the OV511+ below ***)

Apparently support for the OV511+ chipset is still patchy with slightly
unpredictable results.

I managed to pick up a puretek PT-6007 on eBay for almost nothing, and
it works perfectly!

I don't know if you would refer to these cams as 'modern' however....

Andrew.