Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 12:43:30 -0400
From:      Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@CS.McGill.CA>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with compat20.tgz on 2.0.5

I recently installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 on my 486. I had the installation
program extract a few distributions (from the DOS partition), like bin
and manpages, but not compat20.tgz. I later extracted compat20.tgz
manually with a command like this, under root of course:

    cd /; tar xzvf compat20.tgz

As soon as this was done, "all" programs caused SEGFAULTs (even ls).  I
suppose that some shared libraries in /usr/lib were corrupted.  I'd
like to know how the extraction of a distribution can cause so much
harm. What did I do wrong? Did the installation procedure hide some
important informations from me?

For those who are interested: I rebooted by typing "/kernel -s" at the
"Boot:" prompt; then I did fsck and then "mount -a /". At that point, I
erased the contents of /usr/lib and replaced it with the /usr/lib/*
files of the bindist, which I still had on the DOS partition.

Pierre.