Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:05:34 -0500
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        "'Fran.Lawas-Grodek@grc.nasa.gov'" <Fran.Lawas-Grodek@grc.nasa.gov>, Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, Cindy.Tran@grc.nasa.gov, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark.Allman@grc.nasa.gov
Subject:   RE: Problem in High Speed and Long Delay with FreeBSD

> From: Fran Lawas-Grodek [mailto:Fran.Lawas-Grodek@grc.nasa.gov]
> Well... our development code that we are to ultimately test was
> developed on 4.1, thus we really need to try to stick with 4.1.
> It does not look like either of the above parameters are available
> until 4.7.

No worries.
Have you checked that both sides are negotiating SACK?
And both sides are negotiating a window scale option sufficiently
large? (sounds like you need a window scale option of at least 5
bits?)
And the socket-buffer to ttcp is actually being set as large
as you think? (perhaps run 'ktrace' or 'truss' on ttcp and look
for an error on the setsockopt).
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1323.txt has some other
suggestions I think, but I'm guessing you've already gone
over it.

--don (don@sandvine.com www.sandvine.com)