Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 10:07:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        Sean Ellis <sellis@telus.net>, ScaryG <freymann@eagle.ca>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mirroring Hard Disk

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Chris Fedde wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 22:25:38 -0800  Sean Ellis wrote:
>  +------------------
>  | When I recently asked about cloning a hard drive I was offered a
>  | couple of leads for a daily mirroring of a hard drive. I'm not
>  | sure if mirroring the drives on a daily basis would be suitable for
>  | what jacks is asking about, but I'd be interested for any comment on
>  | using rsync or dd as means of keeping two drives relatively
>  | synchronized.
>
> Depending on your needs, and your availability requirements, I'd
> think of using dump | restore.

...particularly for your read-mostly filesystems (/ and /usr). Sun have
a cute hack for solaris where you can do "fast, safe" updates to your OS
by patching the offline copy then rebooting into that; if it works, you
switch your notion of main and copy - otherwise, you just reboot back
into the older one.

It's a sad fact that the word "semantics" seems to have lost all meaning.