Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 23:49:06 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ray Smith" <R.Smith@cms.uwa.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: NetMAX and FreeBSD upgrade

On Fri, 18 May 2001 09:58:26 +0800, Ray Smith wrote:

>I have been running NetMAX as a Web, File and print server for a department
>for the past 18 months.It is using FreeBSD 3.3 as its operating system. The
>NetMAX products are no longer supporting FreeBSD, and I'm starting to get a
>little worried about not being able to upgrade the operating system.

Is this machine accessible from the outside world?
If not why not just keep using it just the way it is?
If you are concerned about security then things are different
(more below).

>been told by the NetMAX people that I cannot upgrade the OS, does anyone
>know if this is true or not?

Not exactly.
You can probably do it, IF you are doing this as a one time
migration OUT of Netmax. What support probably meant to tell you
is that you can not upgrade and stay with the Netmax interface.

What is your case so we can better help you?
-Machine visible from outside and you are concerned about
security
-Security not an issue, but you were "thinking" about upgrading.
No current problems with existing setup.
-You have outgrown netmax and there are things you need to do
that Netmax is starting to get in the way.

>I'm running the following via NetMAX:
>Web Server, FTP server, mail server, windows file server, MacIntosh file
>server, print server.

Do you have another machine you could start bringing up to speed
and move services as you configure them in the new machine?