Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:10:58 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <port> replacement

If memory serves me right, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> I propose to replace the <port> tag with <filename> and a "role"
> attribute as follows:
>
> 	<filename role="package">
>
> There have been some discussions about this in the past, and I think
> everyone agrees that <port> should be taken out and shot.  Some people
> wanted to do weird (to me, at least) things instead, but I believe the
> above is what most people felt comfortable with.

Bravo!  Thanks for taking the time to do the work on this.

> The attached patch makes the above valid and removes <port>.  I've
> only tested it with HTML output, so if someone could test it with
> other output formats I'd appreciate it.  The following patches replace
> all instances of <port> with the new construct for the doc tree,
> relnotes in -current, and relnotes in -stable, respectively:
>
> 	http://www.trit.org/~dima/home/p/docport.doc.diff
> 	http://www.trit.org/~dima/home/p/docport.rc.diff
> 	http://www.trit.org/~dima/home/p/docport.r4.diff

I tested your patches for RELNOTESng (-CURRENT and 4-STABLE).  My usual
HTML/PDF/TXT builds went fine, and I did a quick visual inspection
of the output.  The TXT output looks the same as it did before (no
great surprise there).

In the PDF files, the old port output used to be rendered in red for
some reason (murray and I never were able to figure out why).  After
your change, the port filenames are rendered in black.  I don't know why
this changed, but I think it looks better now than it did before.

In the HTML files, the stylesheet seems to be causing the port
names to be rendered using the style for filenames, rather than the
style for hyperlinks (this would be green, rather than blue, on the
version of Netscape I have).  I presume that an edit to docbook.css
could change this back, if desired.

I'd say go for it.  If there's any little cosmetic tweaks to be made,
they can happen after you get the syntactic changes done.

Thanks,

Bruce.