Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:39:25 CST
From:      "Scott K. Benolkin" <beno0028@umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dating a ports tree

Thank you for your answer.  I learned something, but I still appear to be
missing something obvious.  My supfile is appended below.  Using the line

*default tag=RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE list=cvs:RELENG_5_2

works as I anticipate for src-* collections, creating checkout files with
the appropriate name.  However, even with the line

*default tag=RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE list=cvs:.

above the ports-* collections, this supfile results in cvsup deleting all
the files in my ports tree.

Scott

Quoth Kris Kennaway:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:25:33PM -0600, Scott K. Benolkin wrote:
> > For CVSuping a ports tree (e.g., the ports distribution from a release
CD)

(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cvsup-advanced/article
> > .html)
> > recommends, "you should specify a date as close as possible to that of
> > `shipping' of your ports tree."  It's easy enough to do this roughly,
but
> > I'm curious if anyone knows an "official" (or at least surefire) way to
> > easily and precisely determine the "shipping" date of a ports tree
> > (realizing that the "date" keyword will specify a time down to the
second).
> >  I'm not trying to say this is essential, but if there's a best
practice,
> > I'd like to know.
>
> cvsup to the tag of the release you are installing.  See the handbook
> for information about cvsup tags.
>
> Kris

*default host=cvsup12.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
#*default compress
#*default tag=RELENG_5_2
*default tag=RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE list=cvs:RELENG_5_2
src-base
src-bin
src-contrib
src-crypto
#src-eBones
src-etc
src-games
src-gnu
src-include
#src-kerberos5
#src-kerberosIV
src-lib
src-libexec
src-release
src-sbin
src-secure
src-share
src-sys
src-sys-crypto
src-tools
src-usrbin
src-usrsbin
#*default tag=.
*default tag=RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE list=cvs:.
#ports-all
ports-base
ports-accessibility
#ports-arabic