Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:41:15 -0700
From:      "Richard Johannesson" <rtjohan@syspres.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How to debug fatal trap? running on vinum

Had FreeBSD5.1 on a box that had a physical hard-drive failure last =
week.
So, this time setup the box using mirrored 200GB drives using vinum
sub-disks. Setup multiple vinum partitions to help limit any file system
corruption. One of those partitions was /dev/vinum/ports which points to
/usr/ports.

Once the machine was setup with a minimal install, then did a restore =
from
the image made before the original hdd failure. I've never done that =
before,
so there is a possibility that I might have restored a file that I =
should
not have.

Got ports updated using cvsup. Then did a make reinstall of
/usr/ports/x11/kde3. The last thing I saw before fatal trap & reboot was =
the
following:

-------------------
=3D=3D=3D> Extracting for libxml2-2.5.8_1
>> Checksum OK for gnome/libxml2-2.5.8.tar.bz2.

fault virtual address    =3D 0x14
fault code               =3D supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer      =3D 0x8:0xc02d15d9
stack pointer            =3D 0x10:0xcdb35aa8
frame pointer            =3D 0x10:0xcdb35adc
code segment             =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         =3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags         =3D interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL =3D 0
current process          =3D 39 (buffdaemon)
trap number              =3D 12
panic: page fault
syncing disks, buffers remaining... panic: bremfree: removing a buffer =
not
on a queue
Terminate ACPI
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds -

Any tips on how to debug this or if there is an article that discusses =
how
to do this I would be very grateful for any help. The only way I know =
how to
fix is to rebuild everything - including setting up the vinum volume up
again. Takes too long, hoping for a better solution. Clearly a newbie.

Thanks,
Richard