Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 13:42:15 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, wwoods@cybcon.com
Subject:   Re: Make worl error on -current elf ...please help

>>> What happened to testing things out before committing?
>>
>> Good question, it worked here once and then failled bittlerly :(
>> I've backed it out again...

You apparently didn't test with a clean elf system.  The -aout flag is
forced for LKMs, since LKMs proper require it.  The flag leaks into the
building of utilities like linux_genassym.  Therefore, the build fails
unless aout libraries are present.  aout libraries in /usr/lib/aout/
shouldn't be used for building the world, but are (because -nostdlib can't
be used).  aout libraries shouldn't be searched for in /usr/lib/, but are
(most paths in $COMPILER_ENV are wrong - among other bugs, there are some
hard-coded /usr/lib's and some elf paths which are wrong for aout).

>> We still need to get the LKM's rebuild even on an ELF system though,
>> but this was clearly not the way...

See sys/i386/conf/Makefile.i386 for several rounds of fixes for
the same bug in the kernel CFLAGS versus utilities CFLAGS.  Building
linux_genassym in LINT apparently avoids the bug because the build rule
in sys/i386/conf/Makefile.i386 is too poorly maintained to ever have
had -aout.

>I don't understand.  I've been building LKMs on an ELF system for a
>week or two.  The only problem is that they don't get built until you
>install (buildworld doesn't, installworld does).  Am I missing
>something?

installworld installs aout libraries.

Bruce