Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 00:34:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@jaguar.ir.miami.edu>
To:        List Account Management <listaccount@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation advice needed - Fat32 /usr, /var?

This sounds bad to begin with first of all.  I'm not sure of all the
pitfalls that can be encountered using FAT32 in place of ffs, but I can
name a BIG one.  FAT32 does NOT support unix permissions.  All files will
be executable, and readable by everyone.  This has to cause problems with
some installs.  Plus, ffs offers a bunch of performance boosts over FAT
filesystems.  I'm not sure if the caching that ffs uses applies to FAT,
but I bet it doesn't.  Meaning, when you right to an ffs filesystem,
FreeBSD doesn't write the data right away.  It caches it, so that actual
disk seeks are reduced.  FAT also doesn't support quotas, and Windows has
a way of mangling long filenames.  Plus, I don't believe 98 is case
sensitive.  You could end up screwing up your UNIX program names.  I'd
stich with ffs for FreeBSD...maybe trash NT.  I mean, with 98 you have
games, and FreeBSD gives you everything else.  What's the point of having
NT at all these days?

Joe Clarke