Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:54:38 +0200
From:      "Ivan Voras" <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic in rt_check

On 27/09/2007, Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a machine that panics almost daily in route.c, in rt_check().
> > This panic has been reported by several users, including Marcel
> > Moolenaar for a machine in freebsd.org.
> >
> > The problem is present in both 6-STABLE and 7-CURRENT, and apparently it
> > manifests on SMP machines, both i386 and AMD64.
> >
> > The panic backtrace looks like this:
> >
> > panic: mtx_lock() of destroyed mutex @ /usr/src/sys/net/route.c:1305
>
> I've asked this before of others without getting an answer: is it
> possible that your gateway route is disappearing (e.g. router going
> offline, flaky switch, cable unplugged, etc)?  I have seen this panic
> (only) in that situation.

If there is a way to find this out from the machine itself, I can try
and look it up, otherwise I don't (and cannot) know. The
infrastructure is a bit big but AFAIK it's nothing special.

Should I just call mtx_initialized() before the line and bail out if
it isn't? OTOH I need a stable patch that will be committed.