Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:17:12 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        "JAKE RIVERA" <jakerivera@ameritech.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with modem in laptop

> Strange. I always thought that most every PCMCIA modem was a "real"
> modem. At least, I have never seen one that was not. Go into
> /etc/defaults/pccard.conf to look for a gizzilion ones that work with
> FreeBSD.

If there are any distributors for most of those in Australia they sure don't
want to be known. Zircom is by far the most aggressive marketer of PCMCIA
stuff here although  a few others are available if one yells loudly enough.
.I have called the distributors I'm aware of for PCMCIA modems listed & they
all claimed their products are suitable for Win98 only. I would have
expected 3-com / USR to work, however the agents claim otherwise. If, as the
pcccard.conf file suggests, the agents for things like the 3-com / USR / IBM
/ Toshiba ones that are readily available certainly need a swift kick to the
nether regions.

I notice a few listings for Nokia GSM products however ..... I defy anyone
to get those disasters working in ANY unix  ..... or even  WinNT / Win2000.
After battling the company over this issue for months even the techno-nerds
in Finland finally admitted they have never tested their rubbish in anything
but Win98.