Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2019 21:22:14 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xwayland: i965_dri.so does not support the 0xffffffff PCI ID

Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 2:36 PM, Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> I'm new to Wayland. As some applications either don't support
>> Wayland or
>> have bugs I'm relying on Xwayland. Unfortunately, Xwayland fails to
>> pass
>> device information to Mesa for hardware to be recognized. Any clues?
> [=E2=80=A6]
>> [xwayland/xwayland.c:103] WAYLAND_SOCKET=3D18 Xwayland :1 -rootless
>> -terminate -listen 16 -listen 17 -wm 60
>> i965_dri.so does not support the 0xffffffff PCI ID.
>> Refusing to try glamor on llvmpipe
>> EGL setup failed, disabling glamor
>> Failed to initialize glamor, falling back to sw
>
> That's weird, I don't remember that kind of issue=E2=80=A6

Thanks for confirming this is not a known issue. After reverting my
local patch to reorder rc.d/kld before rc.d/sysctl for extremely modular
kernels GLX acceleration now works fine. When it doesn't loading i915kms
manually after everything else has initialized usually helps.

As i915kms cannot be safely reloaded I've lost interest narrowing further.

> I used to need to 'export LIBGL_DRI3_ENABLE=3D1' for Xwayland apps to
> work (not sure why I don't anymore, maybe because my build of Mesa
> doesn't have the patch from ports that shuffles some DRI3 defaults
> around, if that patch is still there). But again, that's for apps =E2=80=
=94 I
> don't think driver loading ever failed in the Xwayland server itself.

Flipping DRI3 off/on didn't help. I have CFLAGS+=3D-D__DRM_NEXT__ in Makefi=
le.local.

> Google also finds that message in
> https://github.com/letoram/arcan/issues/129 (but looks like there the
> compositor itself was failing, not Xwayland) and
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-July/034404.html
> =E2=80=94 as a workaround you can try the PCI ID override environment var=
iable
> from that link.

Overriding PCI ID didn't help.

$ env -u DISPLAY INTEL_DEVID_OVERRIDE=3D0x1912 sway
[intel_init_bufmgr: 1881] Kernel 2.6.39 required.