Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:09:03 +0100
From:      "Roderick van Domburg" <r.s.a.vandomburg@student.utwente.nl>
To:        "FreeBSD-sparc@FreeBSD. ORG" <FreeBSD-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   timecounter calibration

I've set up a nightly cron job to run ntpdate, and so every night I receive
dandy cron output by mail. I've set my securelevel to 3, so it'll clamp any
time adjustments to 1 second max. After a week or so of running this setup,
I noticed a pattern. This output was on a box with a 3-day uptime:

27 Jan 03:00:05 ntpdate[58255]: step time server 62.4.94.211 offset
11.482178 sec

You may notice that the offset, having been corrected two times before, is
almost 12 and as such 3 * 4. And that's exactly what's been going on: every
night, the clock skew equals a four-some seconds.

So what I'm wondering is: is this due to an erred clock calibration or is my
E250 clock timer hosed?

Regards,

Roderick