Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:57:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GCC and FreeBSD

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Andrew Hesford wrote:

> Two questions, the second one a little off-topic, but bear with me:
>
> 1) If GCC didn't exist, what compiler would FreeBSD contain?

No idea.

> 2) Since all my programming has been on UNIX systems with GCC, I have
> no idea how GCC compares to other compilers. Is it a good one, a
> mediocre one, or just the only thing we've got?

I'm not that much a programmer, so I don't know the technical details all
that well.  However, I have used several commercial compilers for
commercial UNIX, usually made by the same people who write the UNIX
platform.  They're supposedly optimized for the platform, and written by
the same people who do the OS.

However, in practice I haven't seen obvious difference in the
optimization.  But then I haven't done a precise comparision either.

But I definitely find GCC easier to use, mostly because all the open
source software out there pretty much assume GCC.  And some of those
vendor compiles are just...quirky.  They tend to be less verbose, so it's
harder to troubleshoot compilation errors, that sort of thing.

Overall, I'm happy with GCC, and wouldn't really use anything else,
barring compelling reason to do so.

Ken