Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 1997 13:59:48 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "unsupported" really mean?

Guido van Rooij wrote:

> >  - The pcic type (PCMCIA interface chip).  Toshiba, Dell, NEC, Sharp,
> >    and IBM all use parts that are compatible with FreeBSD.  Acer (at
> >    least) does not.  YMMV; if at all possible, boot a FreeBSD kernel
> >    built with pcic support in order to find out what you're looking at.

I haven't problems on TI (texas instrument, now acer) travelmate
series...
I use a TI 6160 that works like a charm with FreeBSD-current, Xfree
3.3.1, Xaccel 3.1. (Neomagic 128zv, 800x600x65000).
The pcmcia works too (modem and ethernet) , even if not the Sandisk
compact flash , so I couldn't get the pictures made with my digital
camera , <sigh> .

The other laptop I have is an old Travelmate tm4000 (486sx 25mhz, 8mb
ram, 120mb hd) which works with FreeBSD very well. It made for a lot of
time the web server for www.giovannelli.it :-).
And has scsi controller too :-)

--

Regards...