Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 10:30:56 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        dscheidt@enteract.com (David Scheidt)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, jake@checker.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config script

David Scheidt wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 1999, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure we want those sort of people.   But there's already a
>
> What sort of people is FreeBSD after then?  There are all sorts of people
> who need a mailserver, or a webserver, or whatever, who would otherwise get
> someone to sell them an NT based solution.  A friend works for a rather
> behind the times company who is just getting intra-office email.  They had
> been sold on some gastly solution that runs under NT, and required three
> boxes to do maybe 80 users mail.  Why didn't they use a Unix solution? Too
> expensive, because they would have had to have paid some high-priced
> consultant to set things up.  If my friend had been able to show off a nifty
> configuration utility, he might have had better luck selling the FreeBSD
> solution I recomended.
> Are you saying that we don't want a presence in any machine room we can get
> one?  That FreeBSD should only be for talented ubergeeks?  "The power to
> serve" doesn't do anyone any good if they can't figure out how to apply it.

Why build a kernel at all? The generic kernel should do that application
just fine. Only build a custom kernel if you have a good reason to do
so.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137