Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 10:37:33 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>, Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@ps.carel.fi>, hackers@freebsd.org, brian@utell.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Single socket version of natd

At 07:36 PM 2/3/97 -0700, Charles Mott wrote:
>Eivind has these updates and has integrated them into his codebase,
>which he is continuing to work on.  He writes that he has changed some of
>the compile options (ALIAS_ALLOW_INCOMING, ALIAS_SAME_PORTS, etc.) to ppp
>commands.

Not some - all.  User level programs really shouldn't require recompile, IMHO.
At least, no editing of the Makefiles.

>> BTW, Charles/Elvind - what's the score with the code that attempts to
"keep"
>> the source port ?  This idea is growing on me ;)  I've tested 1.9 (http ref
>> from www.srv.net/~cmott to Elvind's page) and it seems good.  It's gettin'
>> *real* close to 2.2-GAMMA now - it would be *really* nice to have this code
>> make it to 2.2 :-O
>
>It has been working for a week or two now.

And all the other really nescessary code-changes are done - everything is
changed to ANSI style, and integrated with PPP from -current patched with
#ifdef's to make it compile and work on all versions from 2.1.0 to
-current,  with an extra command 'alias' that set alias options.

The only thing left before it could be integrated into 2.2 is documentation
(the two different README.alias files should be integrated, and the new PPP
commands should be documented) and testing.  If anybody want a source
snapshot or want to do the documentation, just yell.  If not, I'll try to
have everything ready sometime on thursday.

I really would like to lower the complexity of alias_db.c (it seems to have
a lot of duplicated code because it doesn't defer decisions long enough) -
but that can wait.

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/