Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:29:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@freebsd.org>, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>, Markus Gebert <markus.gebert@hostpoint.ch>
Subject:   Re: 9.2 ixgbe tx queue hang

Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 3/23/14, 4:57 PM, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > Christopher Forgeron wrote:
> >>

> >> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Rick Macklem <
> >> rmacklem@uoguelph.ca

> >> All of this should be prepended with "I'm an NFS guy, not a
> >> networking
> >> guy, so I might be wrong".
> >>
> >> Other drivers (and ixgbe for the 82598 chip) can handle a packet
> >> that
> >> is in more than 32 mbufs. (I think the 82598 handles 100, grep for
> >> SCATTER
> >> in *.h in sys/dev/ixgbe.)
> >>

> the Xen backend can not handle mor ethan 32 segments in some versions
> of Xen.

Oops, poorly worded. I should have said "Some other drivers...". Yes,
there are several (I once did a find/grep, but didn't keep the output)
that have this 32 limit.

Also, I have no idea if the limit can easily be increased to 35 for them?
(Bryan was able to do that for the virtio network driver.)

rick
ps: If it was just "ix" I wouldn't care as much about this.