Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:33:07 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>, Jiawei Ye <leafy7382@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: portmaster, bison, java/jdk15

Doug Barton wrote:
> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
>> It is a known issue, I have reported to Doug a while back.
>
> *nod*
>
>> As for solution, right now I am thinking about check on each port's
>> conflict. Like for example:
>>
>>     - Check on if devel/bison has any of CONFLICT.
>>     - CONFLICTS is devel/bison2, then check if
>>       devel/bison2 exists.
>>     - devel/bison2 does exist, then remove the
>>       devel/bison out of dependency check list.
>>     - Check if devel/bison2 needs to update.
>>     - [...goes on as normal...]
>>
>> I don't know if it's good idea.
>
> That is a good idea, thanks for suggesting it. I will look at some code to
> do that, although I might not get it into the current version, as I'm almost
> done with some serious performance optimizations that I'd like to get out
> the door.

Ok, I FINALLY got the new version (1.6) done, and committed. The good news
is that the delay was caused by my finding more things to optimize. :)

I have been giving some thought to your scenario, and while I still do not
have an automated solution, I do have a workaround that will work from the
command line. In the new version I enhanced the -i (interactive mode)
feature to remember the user's choices made during the 'make config'
recursive check so that you don't have to re-enter them at build time. So,
let's say that you want to build build /usr/ports/foo/bar which has a
dependency on bison, but you have bison2 installed. You would launch
'portmaster -i -p foo/bar' and when the dependency check got to bison, say
no to building it. When the build for foo/bar starts, the ports tree will
see that the bison dependency is filled by bison2, and not try to launch a
build for it, and neither will portmaster.

Like I said, it's not ideal or automated, but it does "fix" the problem
while I work on the CONFLICTS idea you proposed (or some other solution if
that doesn't work).

hth,

Doug