Date:      Sun, 01 Apr 2001 21:33:52 +1000
From:      Child <child@child.net.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jopp <jpay@accesscable.net>
Subject:   natd/libalias problem

Dear All

I encountered a problem I cannot solve with natd it has to do with port
redirection

Setup is at follows
4.2 REL with 2 NIC's one is the int net the other is a crossover to a cable
modem (dyn IP)
the int net is on 192.168 IP's so natd is translating as required

one of the clients on the int net wishs to use netmeeting 3 (UGH I cant
stand it) so i setup a config file that looked like this
#NM
redirect_port tcp 192.168.111.1:1024-65535 1024-65535
redirect_port udp 192.168.111.1:1024-65535 1024-65535

I know I know its a huge ugly awful memory hungry hack but when i did this
with user PPP (alias port tcp etc) it WORKED (this was on another system
mind you still 4.2rel)

I currently pass the -s and -m switches to natd i also tried -t with no luck

I have overcome this problem in the past by
doing a alias port in user PPP for all the required ports (1024-65535 tcp/udp)
setting up a UDP VPN etc....

but I cant use user ppp here as its an ether interface out to the world not
a dial-up i'm trying to avoid installing "phonepatch" if I can

I ran tcpdump and natd -v and aliasing appeared to be working correctly
with no port number changes so i dont know where I am going wrong

please help
Thanks
Jer