Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:31:15 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthias Gamsjager <mgamsjager@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bruno_Lauz=E9?= <brunolauze@msn.com>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Subject:   Re: libinit idea
References:  <BLU179-W28221A0539478FDDF45ADDC6840@phx.gbl> <CACdU%2Bf9KVc7EKcVAN2vtyO7UvC%2BDM=iMsiQBmRzmA%2BcU1ZL=gA@mail.gmail.com> <CAPS9%2BSubCSfBc4NYsZfJCQ_7ce%2BcCDjFT-BTL6x=ynYuYD%2BwVA@mail.gmail.com> <20140223182232.GA25967@lucius.XxX> <CAOjFWZ7Oi=krGiyk5m1P8aJcshQ_AjsPvc7SiU4H0LGidQWXqw@mail.gmail.com> <530A4D0A.5000604@bluerosetech.com> <BLU179-W45A3F5C3AEBFBB355FD174C6860@phx.gbl> <CA%2BD9Qhs05bo7-5rmjtsfv5N1Pwb%2Bj%2Bii8TYVZw2u3S5kB-JccQ@mail.gmail.com>

On 24 Feb 2014, at 13:25, Matthias Gamsjager <mgamsjager@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> How about delaying the startup of services that are not necessary =
right at
> the start. For example sshd, samba etc could be loaded after xdm ( or =
even
> after the DE has loaded).

It's a good idea, but it depends on a far more complex system than our =
current rc. =20

For example, what happens if you're mounting home directories over SMB?  =
You need to make sure that XDM doesn't complete the login until samba =
has started, which requires automounter / autofs integration with the =
init system.  You want to speculatively start samba (because you know a =
user is going to need it), but in such a way that you can delay =
directory lookup resolution until it's actually started.

There is a reason most systems are moving away from services started by =
a pile of shell scripts: the complex dependencies and event models that =
they must handle require some complex generic logic.  You can probably =
implement this in shell scripts, but it probably won't be fast and it =
definitely won't be maintainable. =20

I would be fully in favour of importing a modern, flexible, service =
management framework into FreeBSD, but it needs some very careful =
design.  Launchd, systemd, SMF, and so on all have some good ideas, but =
none is quite the right fit for FreeBSD.

David