Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:04:42 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        fbsd_user <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 5.2 & NFS

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:40:24AM -0500, fbsd_user wrote:
> During the sysinstall of 5.2,  I selected not to install NFS server
> and client,
> But when I do 'ps ax' command I see following
>=20
> nfsiod 0, nfsiod 1, nfsiod 2, nfsiod 3
>=20
> What are these?

Well, according to nfsiod(8) they're instances of a 'local NFS
asynchronous I/O server'.  Seems that you've actually managed to turn
on NFS client support -- the default is for it not to be enabled.
Note that if you're using amd(8) to automount removable media, it
actually operates through NFS.

You might also check for instances of mountd(8), nfsd(8) and
rpcbind(8) -- all of which are involved with providing NFS service.
(You might need rpcbind(8) for things other than NFS, but you
shouldn't run it unless you actually do need it.)

Check the following variable settings in /etc/rc.conf -- I've shown the
default settings:

    rpcbind_enable=3D"NO"
    nfs_client_enable=3D"NO"
    nfs_server_enable=3D"NO"