Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:16:10 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jerry Toung <jtoung@arc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: debugging kld panic

--R4+lwT0Y15rLnKR0

On Wednesday,  8 September 2004 at 11:01:33 -0700, Jerry Toung wrote:
> Good morning Greg,
> I am trying to debug a kld that I wrote that keeps causing panics. I already
> did a search on the mailing list, and the only useful info I got was an email
> you replied to in 1999, "Re: debugging a panic in a kld-ed kernel". You
> refered to .gdbinit.vinum.paths but I couldn't find it. I am running
> 6.0current, then you gave out this:

But not for 6-CURRENT.  The kld symbols should get loaded
automatically, so you don't need to do anything.  You should see
something like:

  Reading symbols from /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZAPHOD/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/dcons/dcons.ko.debug...done.
  Loaded symbols for /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZAPHOD/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/dcons/dcons.ko.debug
  Reading symbols from /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZAPHOD/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/dcons_crom/dcons_crom.ko.debug...done.
  Loaded symbols for /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZAPHOD/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/dcons_crom/dcons_crom.ko.debug

This is all you need.

> I copied and past it in a file and made it executable, but no
> success. Could you be kind enough and let me know what to do to
> debug my kld. You can reply to hackers since I am also on that
> list. I am sure this will benefit more than one person.

This should be generally known.  There's also a man page gdb(4) which
explains this and more.

Greg
--
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.