Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 00:53:40 -0700
From:      Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: still can't upgrade using make install world

Hi Kent

>Did you use vipw or edit it in. If you used an ordinary editor, you
>have to update the password database. I did a man passwd and it listed
>pwd_mkdb. I never try to get that involved and simply use vipw.

Kent man... you rock. I've done pwd_mkdb on the /etc/master.passwd file, but
when i do 'make installworld' nothing happened. But, when i did 'vipw -d
etc/' and then just saved the master.passwd file, it sais something like
updating the db and then when i did the 'make installworld' stuff started to
happen.

>Well, that only works on smmsp after you finish the installworld. If
>it is dying before then, you have to use the version in /usr/obj to do
>the addition.

What do you mean when you say "use the version in /usr/obj". You mean
execute 'mergemaster -p' in the /usr/obj dir if the 'make installworld'
doesn't even start up? Just want to clarify so i don't miss potential
important info.

Just for sanity check, the /etc/make.conf file i used is just a blank file.
I did this because matt said something like:

"That is actually one of the few files that you can just copy out of
/etc/defaults to /etc and not come to grief.  If you look at
/etc/defaults/make.conf, you'll see that all the entries are actually
commented out: they're just there to document what's available.  It
also means that you could just create an empty file for /etc/make.conf
without ill effects, but it's more usual to put some local
configuration in there."

Um... so am i potentially messing stuff up? The reason i ask is because
another person said:

"It is a VERY important file as it affects your "makes".....
hmmm...."make.conf" is an apt name."

which i didn't really quite understand. So, my make.conf is empty right now,
but it should really have stuff specific to my pc?

Okay... looks like, it finished... i'm going to run 'mergemaster' and see
how it goes (backing up /etc/ first this time though) tomorrow evening. If i
have any problems, i'll just send out an email to this list.

Just one more question, is there anything that i can do after the upgrade to
make sure the upgrade is all good, like just some sanity checks to make sure
that i'm all uptodate with the latest stable realease. Like, when i reboot,
it said freebsd 4.6 even before i ran the 'make installworld'.

Thanks a bunch Kent :)

desmond