Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:32:49 -0700
From:      Joel Mc Graw <jpmcgraw1@home.com>
To:        David Harnick-Shapiro <davidhs@intelenet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newer ports on older FreeBSD?

David Harnick-Shapiro wrote:

> With increasing frequency, I find that when I try to make something
> under /usr/ports, the source file tarchive isn't even available out
> there anymore.
>
> I'm running 3.4-RELEASE (hey, it seemed the most stable choice back
> when I installed it :-} ).
>
> I tried to update my whole /usr/ports tree (my first and only attempt
> to cvsup something), but that broke everything -- I think the included
> files (like "bsd.port.mk") are too different?
>
> My first question:  was there, in fact, a major reconfiguration of the
> ports system since the days of 3.4-RELEASE?
>
> The real question:  what's the cleanest/easiest/best way to upgrade my
> /usr/ports?  (short of re-installing a newer OS, which I'm sure would
> do it, but seems a little excessive :-)  Thanks in advance!

This is an interesting question for a newbie--specially one that's
afraid/doesn't need to upgrade the whole OS ;)

I installed 4.1R a while ago, then recently downloaded the whole ports
tarball.  Up to now I've not run into any difficulties installing ports
from the new tree, but I'm not sure if this is recommended.  What's the
consensus on that?