Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 23:17:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Robin Lunn <robin@is.co.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what is the device number for sio?

On Tue, 21 Nov 1995, Robin Lunn wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> /dev/MAKEDEV doesnt know about tty00 and I'de like to be able to run X with a
> mouse.  What is the device driver number for sio and how would I find such
> things in future?  /sys/i386/conf/devices.i386 wasnt very helpful.  :-(
> It only lists swap devices.

Sure it does.  Do a ./MAKEDEV std, it'll make all the correct tty and cua
ports.  There isn't any sio device, that's the name for the drivers
(Serial Input/Output) not the device name.  DON'T use that number for the
major, it's certainly not right.  There's a good manpage for the sio
driver, just type 'man sio'.  You'd want to use /dev/cuaa0 for your
serial mouse on the first port, BTW.

The Major device numbers refer to the type of driver, and minor numbers
refer to specific modes or ports configured for that device.  Com ports
AREN'T major 0.

> I assume the minor number for com1 will be 0, ie mknod tty00 c MAJOR 0.
>
> Much thanks,
> --
> _ __                       | Only my ideas here unless I say otherwise...
> ' )  )     /               | (BeamJack@IRC)
> /  \_(_) /_) (__/) )_      | "I didn't know it was impossible when I did it!"

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;