Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:44:07 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        "Martin G. McCormick" <martin@server1.shellworld.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Question about a Remote DRAC on a Dell Server

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Martin G. McCormick
<martin@server1.shellworld.net> wrote:

>         We have a new Dell Server running FreeBSD9.3 and our
> problem is that when trying to operate the system remotely via
> ipmitool and a command-line console, The FreeBSD kernel displays
> all boot messages as it should but then we lose contact because
> the system wants to go to a GUI console which will not work over
> a text-only channel.

The problem may simply be your /etc/ttys. You need to turn on getty on
one or more of the serial ports.  The section for serial terminals on
my machine looks like this:

# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on  secure

- M