Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:57:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: devfs persistence

> Just a small case in point: I make the following changes to /dev every
> time I install a new version of FreeBSD:
>
> - chmod g+w rfd0.1440

And you don't want other rfd0 densities greoup writable because?

I think this qualifies as a class of devices (fd devices are exported
by the fd driver, and raw fd devices are a seperate class of exported
device).

> - chmod g+r bpf0

And not bpf1?

I think this is the same issue.  I'll note, for the record, that bpf
should be a cloningin device in any case, and should act like:

1)	fd1 = open /dev/bpf
2)	fd2 = ioctl( fd1, DEVCLONE, &clone)
3)	close( fd1)

Step 2 would create a /dev/bpf/0 (whose path is repoeted in the clone
structure).

> - ln -s cuaa0 mouse

This is somewhat non-sensical as well.  The mouse should use a protocol
virtualizer so that a /dev/mouse is reexported, and it doesn't matter
what your physical mouse hardware is, the thing looks like a mousesystems
(or other) mouse, always, so that programs don't have to care about this.

I think your problem is that the current mouse interface is so primitive.

> Thus, if DEVFS is used, I want *some* way to have this happen
> automagically when the machine is booted. /etc/rc.devices would be fine.

You could do it this way, of course, but the permissions thing can
be applied to the modules exporting the default attributes for a given clss,
as a local configuration modification.

The only strange thing you seem to want to do is to make up for a
deficiency in abstraction of mice (the better way would be to make
it no longer defivient, but I could see this going into a boot
config file to get the symlink in place.

Of course, you could always do:

	cd /
	mkdir mydevs
	ln -s /dev/cuaa0 mouse

and then access it as /mydevs/mouse instead of /dev/mouse...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.