Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:01:47 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.x packages and request for help.

Alan Eldridge wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 08:25:39PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >Alex Zepeda wrote:
> >> As far as Qt goes, rip out that objprelink crap.  Without it Qt will build
> >> and work just fine.  At least Qt 3.whatever works for me.  I don't know
> >> why objprelink isn't working correctly for Qt, but I don't really care.
> >> For me disabling WITNESS does more than enough to make KDE useable on my
> >> -current box (2xP2-450).
> >
> >Uh, "objprelink" exists for a reason.  It's not just decorative.
>
> I'll just point out that it's an optimization, and an optimization that
> breaks a build is not particularly effective at optimizing anything.

It's the tools change that breaks the optimization that
breaks the build.

THerefore it's the tools change that breaks the build.

That's just simple root cause analysis.

I think it's idiotic to put spackle over the broken window,
paint the wall, and then call it "fixed".

Working around tools problems removes the incentive to fix
the tools.  If you want the tools to get fixed, you won't
put spackle everywhere the tools deficiencies show through
to try to pretend the problems aren't there.

This is a developer's release.  As such, some things are
expected to be broken, in order to cause people to fix the
root cause of the problems.

-- Terry