Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:20:11 +0200
From:      Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
To:        conrads@cox.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port managment

Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> On 08-Nov-2002 Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:
> > Just to sum it up for the archives
> >
> > Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> >> pkg_info -ar
> >
> > Or, a very nice port (/usr/ports/sysutils/pkg_tree) I just found. It
> > does the same job with better on screen results. It can even display
> > dependencies of the dependencies in a nice graphical tree.
> >
> > pkg_tree -v
>
> Interesting.  I'll have to have a look at that.

> >> /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/check_consistency
> >
> > I think /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/consistency-check examines modified
> > files within /usr/local/bin only.
> >
> >> or
> >>
> >> pkg_which file(s)
> >
> > A better way to examine files in any path would be to use pkg_which -v
> > Something like "find <PATH PATH ...> -type f | xargs pkg_which -v |
> > fgrep '?'" would check against any port in any path.
>
> Well, yes, I didn't elaborate any further on this one.  Just wanted to
> point you in the right direction.  :-)

Yes, I believe you did. :-)

> >> pkg_info -ag

> >> Need some clarification as to what you mean.
> >
> > I think your previous answer covers this one as well. I meant if any of
> > the already installed port files are missing. "pkg_info -ag" displays
> > results of any modified/missing port files.
> > Is there a way to also check the system (/bin /sbin ...) for
> > modified/missing/extra files?
>
> man mtree

That certainly takes care of that too!

> >> pkg_info -I $(pkg_info -arq | cut -d ' ' -f 2)
> >
> > I am not sure here if the results are any missing port dependencies. I
> > get a multiple list of the ports that are already installed.
>
> Well, the idea here is that if a package is missing, an error message will
> be displayed.  Perhaps a better way to run this would be:
>
> pkg_info -I $(pkg_info -arq | cut -d ' ' -f 2) >/dev/null
>
> So only any errors will actual display.

I see. There is also a nice sysutil port /usr/ports/sysutils/libchk. It
checks almost any shared libraries links. I guess that about sums it up.
Using the above commands, you could check almost everything in your file
system. Great job, thanks. The idea here is to always be able to check
the
whole system against minor data corruption problems or accidental
deletes or unknown files and file modifications. Is there anything else
I might be missing?

Regards,

Lefteris