Date:      Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:16:19 +0100
From:      Dr Josef Karthauser <joe@truespeed.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW with NAT : Problems with duplicate packets on FreeBSD 10.3-RC3

<mailto:joe@truespeed.com>> wrote:
>>=20
>> Looks like the first packet is being retransmitted, which means that =
the nat is probably misconfigured and the TCP connection is broken in =
some strange way.
>>=20
>> Does anyone have a clue as to where to look? The ipfw rules are =
simple enough - what have I missed?
>=20
> Ok, the packet definitely isn=E2=80=99t being retransmitted. I=E2=80=99v=
e done a tcpdump/pcap capture and taken a look and I get a packet that =
I=E2=80=99ve included below.
>=20
> It=E2=80=99s got a 'HTTP/1.1 200 OK=E2=80=99 inserted mid-flow right =
in the middle of an HTTP response. Looking at this I=E2=80=99d be =
inclined to think it=E2=80=99s a bug in the webserver/tomcat, however, =
what=E2=80=99s strange is that if I =E2=80=98curl' the jailed web server =
directly from the host machine on the private IP address (bypassing the =
NAT), the HTTP response  received is perfectly fine. It=E2=80=99s only =
when I do an HTTP request to the public IP address and go through the =
NAT that I experience the problem.
>=20
> How could this happen? Is it a buggy packet reassembly in the kernel =
perhaps?
>=20

Adding: "ipfw add reass all from any to any=E2=80=9D to the beginning of =
the ipfw rule set doesn=E2=80=99t make any difference to the behaviour.=20=

Joe