Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 00:01:00 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "Christoph Sold" <so@server.i-clue.de>, "Eric Boucher" <eric_boucher60@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SAMBA: browseability with FreeBSD and win2k Pro.

On Thu, 17 May 2001 16:20:50 +0200, Christoph Sold wrote:

>Since you've got no W2k server in your network, you cannot see wondoze
>domains. Its a "workgroup".
>
>> I can only access it when I do
>> a "find computer". It found it in my_domain_name (that
>> is, the right domain). Does somebody did it with win2k
>> Pro?
>
>See above. Samba 2.0.x provides windoze workgroups, not domains. For
>win2k Domains, a Win2k server is needed as domain controller.

I think what Eric is trying to do is just to be able to see the
Samba shares on the network neighborhood (Eric correct me if
there is anything beyond that).

Eric, I am no Samba expert, but the smb.conf you showed seemed
ok.
Did you try pointing the FreeBSD machine as a Win server? TCP/IP
properties, advanced, WINS.
I had the same problem and pointing the FreeBSD machine as the
WIN server fixed it.

If of any help my smb.conf is below.
Notice that you will need to adjust the IP addresses according
to your network.
In my case the samba server is using a non routable IP
192.168.10.#
You can also use 10.0.0.# (and a couple of others I don't
remember, but they are listed in /etc/rc.firewall)

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from miguel.reyes.somos.net (192.168.10.5)
# Date: 2001/02/11 11:59:25

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup =reyesnet
	netbios name = ZORAIDA
	server string = Samba Server running on Zoraida
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
	username map = /usr/local/etc/user.map
	log file = /var/log/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	mangled stack = 100
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 100
	domain master = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	default service = global
	hosts allow = 192.168.10. 127.
	preserve case = No
	mangle case = Yes
	share modes = No

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	writeable = Yes

[tmp]
	comment = Temporary file space
	path = /tmp
	writeable = Yes
	guest ok = Yes

[winshare]
	comment = Shared directory for Win/FreeBSD sharing
	path = /usr/vol1/winshare
	guest account = guest
	writeable = Yes
	guest ok = Yes