Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 01:24:31 -0700
From:      Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, danfe@regency.nsu.ru (Alexey Dokuchaev), Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scripting language in base system?

On Monday, July 15, 2002, at 06:57 PM, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Perhaps that is the problem.  Me, I want a good package-system, but
> all the 30-year sh/sed/awk veterans don't seem to see a need for it.

A good package system isn't really intended for them anyway since the
30-year veterans usually just grab the sources off their favorite
archive site and compile it themselves anyway.  "Package systems are a
crutch, man" they say, just before falling asleep in front of the TV
with a blanket on their laps.

I think package systems and fancy installers are for the other 98%. :-)

--
Jordan K. Hubbard
Engineering Manager, BSD technology group